5/30/2008

The Apostle Peter's Thoughts About the "Spirit"


The Apostle Peter always remembered what Jesus had told him before His ascension.


John 21:18-19 『"I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God.』


When Peter's life of the gospel was about to come to an end, he worried about the saints, remembering what Jesus had told him.


2 Pet. 1:13-14 『I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.』

Peter described his death as "putting aside" the tent of the body, and as his "departure." It is clear that it is Peter's spirit that would leave his body. While his spirit was in a fleshly body, the body itself became his spirit's house; after his spirit's departure, the body would return to the ground.
We study the apostles' thoughts to know the teachings that they learned from Jesus. Through the apostles' explanations of the spirit, we can clearly understand that Jesus Christ had taught and revealed that the spirit exists within men.

1 comment:

Elice said...

Amen!!^^
God made man by combining two elements, body and spirit.
I also want to live in the eternal house.