5/27/2008

The Apostle Paul's Thoughts About the "Spirit" (2)


The Apostle Paul wrote similarly in a letter to the saints in Philippi.

Phil. 1:21-24 『For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain....I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.』

Paul's words, "We...would prefer to be away from the body," in the book of 2 Corinthians 5:6 and the words, "I desire to depart," in the book of Philippians chapter one, have the same meanings. "To be away," or "to depart," means to leave the body. What is the entity that dwells in the body or leaves it? It is Paul's spirit, the true essence of Paul.
Paul revealed that it was more necessary for the saints that he remained in his body. If Paul were to leave his body [if he were to die], he would go to Christ; thus it was good for him to leave the body. If he remained in the body, however, it was good for the saints because then he could teach them the truth of God and guide them down the right path.
Paul also uttered a revelation that God had shown him in another letter to the Church in Corinth.

2 Cor. 12:1 『I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know?God knows. And I know that this man?whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows.』

When Paul saw this revelation, he said twice, "...whether I [my spirit] was in the body or out of the body I do not know?God knows."

According to this verse, did the Apostle Paul think that the spirit existed as a separate entity from the body, or did he believe that the spirit did not exist?
If the Apostle Paul believed that the spirit did not exist, could he have said, "Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know?God knows"...? When Paul saw this revelation?describing himself as "a man" he knew (speaking in the third person)?he didn't know whether his spirit had traveled out of the body, or if he had gone to such a paradise in his flesh.

2 comments:

lovemessenger1004 said...

God made us with body and spirit.
Some people insist that there is no spirit in man.
However, We existed as angel in the condition of spirit in heaven before came down to this earth.
To return again, We have to get the salvation of our spirits.
If you want to know the method,Pay attention to the Bible.
The Bible tells us if we keep Passover, We can get salvation.

suna said...

wow... amen...